Swissport Cargo Services opens new warehouse facilities in Nairobi
Zurich/Nairobi – Swissport has opened a new 10’500m2 airside warehouse at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, Nairobi. The facility sets new benchmarks in a number of areas, particularly in the handling and storage of perishable goods that make up 80% of Nairobi’s airfreight. The development triples Swissport’s capacity at Africa’s largest air cargo hub Swissport has been operating in Kenya since 1997 with great success, and currently serves 20 airline customers, handling nearly 4,000 flights a year with a workforce of some 400 personnel. Following intensive planning and a 2-year construction period, the local management of Swissport Cargo Services were recently able to formally open their new warehouse, in the presence of various representatives from their customer airlines, shippers, agents and the local government authorities, including the Minister for Transport.
“We are delighted to have these new cargo facilities,” said Jeroen de Clercq, CEO of Swissport Kenya, “and we are looking forward to an even better collaboration now with our current and future customers. I am sure that all our customer airlines and other industry partners will enjoy not only our state-of-the-art facilities but also the new airport offices.”
De Clercq pointed out the customer benefits including:
– an optimal operational environment to process perishable export goods with a special focus on maintaining the cool chain
– the highest standards in aviation security
– the latest developments in facilities, mechanisation and automation, geared towards meeting the specific needs of the Kenyan air cargo market.
– modern facilities for Government authorities to conduct their activities effectively and efficiently
– environmentally friendly and sustainable solutions matching the needs of the local environment
Today marks the start of a new era in Nairobi’s logistics operations that opens up attractive growth and development prospects for Kenya and Africa alike. Swissport projects a sizeable expansion of its Nairobi freight operations as British Airways World Cargo, Air Cargo Germany and Yemenia – Yemen Airways are joining the existing customer portfolio this month. Special thanks go to everyone who helped plan, build and open this unique new resource.