Summer Travel on a Budget
ASTA travel agents provide tips for money-saving summer fun
Alexandria, VA, USA – School is out and summer is here. Before you load the kids into the car to escape town, there are few money-saving tips you might want to consider.
„Whether you are traveling internationally, driving to the beach or just getting away for the weekend, costs are going up and it is important to save on the small things,“ said Chris Russo, ASTA president and chair. „An ASTA travel agent is your best resource for finding ways to save while you travel this summer. Let us do the work for you, so you can enjoy your trip.“
When traveling internationally:
- Visit destinations where the U.S. dollar is closest in value to the local currency.
- Look for all inclusive packages, such as resorts or cruises and pay upfront in U.S. dollars.
Save money on hotels:
Ask your travel agent
- About upgrading your hotel reservation to a room with two king size beds instead of getting two hotel rooms when traveling in groups or with kids.
- To find hotels where kids stay for free or cheaper if you are traveling with kids.
- To find a hotel room with a kitchenette so you can take care of a few meals yourself instead of eating out for every meal.
When traveling by car:
- Pack the car as light as possible – the more weight, the harder the car works and the more gas you use.
- When renting a car for a large group of people, renting one SUV saves on gas mileage vs. renting two smaller cars.
- Make sure tire pressure is accurate so that gas is spent efficiently and use cruise control to save on gas.
Save at home while you are away:
- Turn the air conditioning off or down.
- Put your lights on timers.
- Unplug large appliances like TV’s and computers.
- Turn off automatic sprinklers.
Regardless of travel plans, using a professional ASTA travel agent can save time and money. For information, visit TravelSense.org
. There, consumers not only can find travel tips and advice but an ASTA travel agent in their area who specializes in a particular destination or type of travel on the Find a Travel Agent Directory
The mission of the American Society of Travel Agents (ASTA) is to facilitate the business of selling travel through effective representation, shared knowledge and the enhancement of professionalism. ASTA seeks a retail travel marketplace that is profitable and growing and a rewarding field in which to work, invest and do business.
Picture: Carstino Delmonte/ Touristikpresse.net